1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading my PC

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Darknova, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Darknova

Darknova Admin

As my plans for the next few years seem to have fallen through I've decided that I'm going to upgrade my PC instead.

Legend
    Orange - Waiting for AMD's new Zen platform to come out
    Red - Upgrade ASAP
    Lime Green - Upgrade in the future, not urgent

Current Specs:

Hardware
    AMD 8320 @ 4.5GHz
    2 x 8GB DDR3 Kingston HyperX Red 1866Mhz
    Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z

Sapphire Vapor-X AMD 280X Sapphire NITRO Tri-X 390X 8GB Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 XTREME GAMING 8GB

Case
    Coolermaster HAF-X

Peripherals
    Logitech G510 Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum
    Logitech G502
    Logitech G906

Monitors
    3 x DGM IPS-2402WDH

Storage
    1 x 500GB Samsung Evo 850 OS Drive
    1 x 500GB Vrap Data Drive
    1 x 1TB Samsung F1 (HD103SJ) Data Drive
    3 x 2TB Seagate (ST2000DM001-1CH164) Data Drive

Graphics Card

I'm looking to get a high-end model this time so I've got something that'll last me a long time. Been thinking about the AMD Fury X or Nano.

I'd prefer to stick with AMD but I'm open to Nvidia suggestions, I know very little about Nvidia so if you do suggest one can you please put "equivalent to..." whichever model of AMD card. Thanks.

Keyboard

I've disliked this keyboard since the day I got it, and I've come to hate it. The screen is useless and gets in the way, the extra keys I don't use, and it's keys are starting to stick (yey for membrane).

I'm looking at a good quality mechanical keyboard. I've been thinking about the Corsair K70 (Cherry MX Red) or the Logitech G910 (Romer-G).

I don't want a compact or tenkeyless, I do use the numpad a lot. I'd like media keys/volume controls, but I'm not really interested in extra features like screens or extra keys, although I'll take a good keyboard if it has a few extra keys, just don't need the "MMO style" keyboards with 37 extra keys lol.

Monitors

The monitors I have are ok for what I paid for them (all 3 for less than 2 Dell monitors), and the picture quality is awesome, BUT, they are very simple, you have to run them at a high brightness otherwise you can't make out the details in the picture, I've played around with the settings for months and just can't get it right. Instead I've just taken to putting more lights in my room to keep the eye strain away lol.

I'm thinking about slowly replacing these monitors 1 at a time, starting with the main monitor. Been looking at 24" high-DPI monitors (2K or 4K) but I'm not sure what's good and what isn't. Before these I've had Dell or Samsung monitors so I guess I've been spoiled a little.

Any suggestions on any of these would be appreciated.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  2. Ashen

Ashen Admin

the 980 from nvidia is as low as you could go without running into...design flaws or perf loss.

i would say a 8gb 390x would be a better buy then a fury at this time from what i have been seeing.

as to mouse, one option i cant recommend enough is the one i got
    http://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Vers...d=1451905367&sr=8-1&keywords=utechsmart+venus

excellent build quality, all mechanical switches, tracks well on damn near any surface, you can set its weight yourself as heavy or light as you like.

the software is "program the mouse and go" once its setup, you dont need the software again unless you want to tweak it more/again.

it can be set to many colors OR you can turn the colors off all the way.

if you can get the thermaltake mechanical keyboard its damn good honestly, they are cherry clones and, testing them side by side with a old skool cherry blue keyboard. they really are great copies (now that the patent is up you will see more copies over time)

it comes in 10keyless or 10key versions, so thats no problem....

honestly i wish that ms would make one of their ergo keyboards with mech switches......i would buy it in a heartbeat!!!!

screens.....i have only seen useful in a few games where the devs worked with logitech or the like to make the keyboard work with the game specifically...other then that, useless....i can even do all the temp/fps/ect stuff using radeon pro d3d osd if needed....

im serious when i say this, your best bet for now on cpu, take a day, get it stable at 4.5-4.6 range , you said you had a decent cooler and any decent cooler should handle that no problem, it dosnt sound like much but, these chips only really start to shine when you get hem to 4.2-4.6 range or higher(higher tend to take to much power honestly...

a tip i will give is, find the stable settings for 4.6 with intel burnin test, then, set turbo to 4.6, and lower the stock clock to 3.6 or even lower, on a decent board, it can and will turbo all cores to 4.6, or only the ones under heavy stress, helps quite a bit with temps and power use as well.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015...ds-best-card-in-years-but-just-who-is-it-for/

read that...the more i watch whats going on now with cards the more glad i am that i have these 290x's.....

to bad the 290x havent gone on clearance or the like...i would have no problem telling you to grab 2 and cf them....cf on these cards has been damn near problem free outside a few beta titles i had to use radeon pro to force cf profiles for (trial and error) or just use 1 card...but those titles could im sure run at 3200x1800 (my current max) without problems on 1 card honestly, they arent that stressful.

being serious as cancer....go 2k, 4k really isnt ready for prime yet, the 4k monitors are all very hit and miss, features missing, the ones that have all the great features have REALLY BAD quality control(asus's 144hz ips freesync monitor... for example)

IF you decide your willing to try a 27 for main, the one i got, is fucking amazing, i love it more and more the more i use it....that was not true of many/most monitors i have owned....this things just amazing, the basel is so thin...now, it needs a better then stock stand but, well thats true even of many dells that come with crap stands....

in this case teh stands not horrible its a piece of hard to break tinted glass and a HEAVY metal tube(square) looks really great honestly...but i stick this thing on my 30" monitor stand using an HP quick connect kit, its lovely.... :)

this things LIGHT(lighter then the monitors you got now i can almost guarntee!!) and despite being 27" dosnt feel that much physically larger then my 24" that are on either side of it.

i will try and get my father to let me use his digital camara so i can make you a picture thats not washed out/to dark. it really is a beautiful monitor....im in no way disappointed by what i got not at all....its a bit more then the other models and brands but..the extra was worth it.smaller size, the remote is fucking amazing....(can tweak all the settings using it, AND activate the built in crosshairs with a simple down click (red or yellow 3 sizes each color) it may sound weird but I USE THIS FEATURE and its GREAT!!!)

i can link the seller i used, hes got a great rep, as do a couple others, i got it in under a week after ordering....i paid extra for 'perfect pixel' meaning they check the monitor before shipping to ensure its 100% dead/stuck pixel free, most people opt to pay a bit less and take a chance...to me the small extra amount was worth not being annoyed...(stuck/dead pixels is why i opted out of teh more expensive asus montiro i really was eyeing...bad bad bad qc...)

3. Dandel

Dandel Member

I think it'd be a better Idea to keep the same graphics family overall, so I believe it would not hurt to wait a little bit on the AMD Radeon R9 Nano. The price was just had an MSRP cut from $649 to $499.

Source: PC Perspective: AMD Announces Radeon R9 Nano Price Cut

4. vettexl

vettexl New Member

Home Page:
    Don't forget that Polaris is supposed to come out this year.

5. Darknova

Darknova Admin

Yes I saw that recently, changes a few things.

6. Darknova

Darknova Admin

Sigh.

OK, bigger issue. My PSU is fucked.

Need suggestions on a new one, everything else is on hold for now.

7. Dandel

Dandel Member

For power supplies all I gotta say is go for one with long warranty periods. So far the only brand with 5+ year warranty is Seasonic. That said, here is a few power supplies from this brand.

Power Supply Series Available wattage ranges Vendors
    Snow Silent 750 / 1050 [Amazon ( 750W / 1050W )]
    Platinum 660 / 760 / 860 [Amazon ( 660W / 760W / 860W )]
    S12II Bronze 350 / 430 / 520 / 620 [Amazon ( 620W )]

NOTE: I just listed a couple of the series they have, and in general most non-bulk products they produce feature 5 year warranties at the minimum.
    Edit: Modified table to add some links for general pricing idea in the UK.

8. Darknova

Darknova Admin

Update:

So I have on the way -

1x EVGA 1000W SuperNova P2
    1x Corsair H80i v2
    1x Sapphire 8GB NITRO R9 390X Tri-X

9. Darknova

Darknova Admin

Oh, and Dandel, EVGA has a 10 year warranty on it's PSU's in the UK :)

10. Dandel

Dandel Member

I did not know evga had this option, but it's an additional cost after what you already spent to purchase the product. See EVGA's website for additional information.

Also, glad to hear that your desktop will be up and running again.

11. Darknova

Darknova Admin

Nope, I get it as standard. Listed on my warranty documentation :)

12. Dandel

Dandel Member

Any chance I can get the old graphics card ( Sapphire Vapor-X AMD 280X )?

13. Darknova

Darknova Admin

Don't see why not, how much you offering?

14. Dandel

Dandel Member

Been too long, and I forgot I had an offer for ya... I wound up seeing an Radeon R9 Fury go on sale for under $300 USD, and could not resist buying it.... so I already got a replacement graphics card in my system.

15. Darknova

Darknova Admin

So I've updated the main post with the changes I've made since my last update.

16. Dandel

Dandel Member

Ok, and I got a few suggestions in regards to a AMD Ryzen ( aka Zen ) system.

• CPU: Ryzen 1700 - I know that other faster chips exist, and if you want to don't hesitate to pick a faster chip. The main differences on the chips are outlined on wikipedia. If your wanting absolute performance without worrying about cost go for a Ryzen 1800X just for good measure.
    • Ram: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V (Model: F4-3200C14D-16GVK ) - This should be more than fast enough to help with overall system performance once all the bios quirks are fixed involving larger kits.
    • Motherboard: ASRock X370 Killer SLI/ac - The main feature of this motherboard that stands out from other motherboards is that it includes 802.11AC wifi and Bluetooth v4.2 built-in.

17. Darknova

Darknova Admin

Yeah I'm keeping my eye on Ryzen, but I'm probably going to hang on until June time when their new chipsets are rumoured to be out, let things settle a bit.

I'm also not even remotely bothered about in-built WiFi, my PC is hardwired to a gigabit network, bluetooth is a nice to have as I rarely use it.

18. Dandel

Dandel Member

I understand, and I do not know of any rumored chipsets due around june. However, I can provide an alternate motherboard without wireless internet and bluetooth, and that is the ASRock X370 Killer SLI.

19. Darknova

Darknova Admin

My main concern about Ryzen at the moment is not the CPU's it's the poor quality control on the motherboards, I'm reading reports of RAM slots burning out, boards being bricked by simple BIOS updates, that kind of thing.

I'm prepared to wait until these all sort themselves out (As they will) as I'll be buying top-end stuff when I do get around to buying and I don't want to be spending £200+ on a motherboard that burns out or bricks inside a month.